Senior+ Android Engineer – US Remote
Roles open in: Boston, New York, Newburyport
Senior+ Android Engineer – US Remote
DEPT® is a global digital agency that does cutting edge work in technology, creativity and data. Our goals are simple: happy employees and happy clients. We know that making our employees happy and letting them focus on doing good work leads to happy clients. Our philosophy is to hire smart, client facing engineers that can both understand our client’s business goals and write elegant code.
One of our mottoes is “big enough to cope and small enough to care.” Big enough to cope means we have the resources to provide you with things like top notch equipment and software to get your job done, good compensation, and benefits. Small enough to care means each local team works how they see most effectively and treat clients right. We're doing all of this as a fast growing, global company and with that comes a lot of excitement. You have the opportunity to get in and help us build a world class digital agency.
As a member of our team, you’ll focus on only one project at a time. We don’t want you to feel spread thin and we want to make sure you’re in a good place to show up for your client and deliver great work. We pride ourselves in treating our employees like adults. We hire curious, self-driven, high performers, and trust they will do their jobs well. We allow for flexible work times and have unlimited PTO. We want you home in time for dinner.
Moreover, as a B Corp certified company, we’re also passionate about purpose-driven work so you can feel good about the contributions you make.
Here are some of the things we believe in:
- Code quality is a top priority; style guides, code reviews, best practices. Not to mention, you’ll be exposed to a variety of cutting-edge technologies
- Great UI/UX is critical; aesthetics, animations, copy, and speed are all part of this
- Collaboration; great communication is the key to any project
- Intellectually curious; we're constantly learning and evolving through guild meetings, lunch and learns, conferences, continuing education, and practice
- Flexibility; while we expect you to show up for your clients, we don't believe in a typical 9-5. Outside of client meetings, your workday schedule is determined by what works best for you
- Drive your own career path; whether it’s management or not, we have a parallel staff engineering route for those that want to continue honing their craft
You have a meaningful life outside of work, and we’re here to support that—not the other way around
What will your day be like?
- You will help set the technical choices and direction of the DEPT® mobile practice
- You will help clients set up and architect complex apps that are making a material impact on the world.You’ll develop apps that are making a material impact on the world and will be seen by millions of users
- You’ll develop using Kotlin and possibly some Java
- You’ll be a part of agile software development practices and peer/code reviews
- You’ll interface with clients. We estimate about 80% hands-on development and 20% client interaction and documentation
- You’ll help shape and develop best practices, innovation, and community involvement for the Android team
- You will lead and collaborate with others to solve not just technical, but people, design, and product challenges.
What are we looking for?
- You love being a developer and are passionate about the Android ecosystem
- You are up to date on the latest trends in the ecosystem and consider yourself a maker.
- You are curious enough to constantly be trying out new things and experienced enough to lead clients in technology decisions
- You will bring this knowledge to the team and help support continued learning initiatives and involvement in the community, acting as a subject matter expert
- You are in love with UI/UX and are always looking for ways to push what can be done
- You have deep experience in architecting UIs and know how to bring interesting animations to life
- You have a good understanding of the network and data layer and are able to craft solutions to make an app feel lightning fast
- Most importantly, you are delivery focused. You want to ship something to users, get their feedback, and iterate. The drive to ship something enables you to take down obstacles and break hard problems into solvable chunks so that you can make forward progress
- You have multiple years of experience writing Android apps
- You have multiple years of experience with Kotlin and/or Java
- You have shipped multiple apps to the store
- You have the experience and desire to mentor, coach, and develop the skills of a remarkable team
- You have worked with, and have a good understanding of version control, preferably using git
What do we offer?
- For this role, the compensation range is from $115k-$180k+ annually, based on a 40-hour work week and leveling.
- Healthcare, Dental, and Vision coverage
- Matching 401(k) plan
- Unlimited PTO days (and we mean it)
- 11 paid company holidays
- Parental leave
- “Hybrid” work – the opportunity and the flexibility to work in the way that works best for you, whether that be in the office, remote, or a mix of the two
- A people-first culture with a relaxed environment. We like to say we treat people like adults here, meaning we trust your judgment and your ability.
- Dedicated professional development hours
- Monthly lunch and learns, in which you can share everything from more info about a favorite tech stack to general interest and hobbies
- WFH Stipend – $500 reimbursement to help outfit your home office with everything you need to set yourself up for success
- A paid-for trip to Amsterdam for our legendary annual company celebration, DEPT®Fest. A whole weekend of keynotes featuring an incredible lineup of speakers, not to mention evenings filled with amazing music, drinks, food, and the chance to mingle with coworkers from all over the world.
About DEPT®: DEPT® is a pioneering technology and marketing services company that creates integrated end-to-end digital experiences for brands such as Google, KFC, Philips, Audi, Twitch, Patagonia, eBay and more. Its team of 2,500+ digital specialists across 30+ locations on 5 continents delivers pioneering work on a global scale with a boutique culture. DEPT® is committed to making a positive impact on the planet and since 2021 has been Climate Neutral and B Corporation certified. www.deptagency.com
We are passionate about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and our decision to choose you is based on qualifications, merit, and business need. DEPT® (and any company that is a part of DEPT®) is committed to prohibiting the discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, national origin, religion, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military and veteran status, and other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or religious observance, please contact us at [email protected]
Be part of our digital future
We may be spread across the world, but we all work together as one team. Inspiring each other, collaborating, innovating, and creating together.Explore our culture