Lead Software Engineer - BYTE/DEPT®
Offene Stellen in: London
Lead Software Engineer - BYTE/DEPT®
JOB DESCRIPTION: Lead Software Engineer
Internally, this role will be known as Principal Engineer
This role can be fully remote so we’d be open to speaking to candidates based in either the UK or Berlin.
JOIN OUR MISSION 🚀
A BIT ABOUT US...
BYTE/DEPT® is a marketing technology agency based in London, New York and Berlin on a mission to combine technology and creativity to solve brands’ problems. We bring together data, technology, content, and paid media to drive revenue for brands. Our clients include Spotify, ASOS, Just Eat Takeaway, Twitch, Zoopla, TikTok, and Tinder. Since being founded in 2014, BYTE/DEPT® has grown to more than 170 brilliant people.
Dept is a leading digital agency with 27 offices in 13 countries around the world.
- Digital strategy
- Creative idea generation
- Digital content production
- Dynamic creative and assets at scale
- Chatbot design & build
- AR lenses
- Automated digital products
- R&D emerging technologies
- MarTech consultancy
- Web 3.0 Consultancy
- Metaverse Content Development and Production
- Paid media strategy
- Biddable media planning & buying
- Automation of processes
- Data analytics & insights
We're looking for a Principal Engineer to join the team to lead our work on a number of exciting marketing technology projects. Your role will be split between hands-on engineering work, and line managing other individual contributors, and your main focus will be ensuring that the design, application, and maintenance of our software meets the quality standards that our clients expect.
Experience working on client projects with strict deadlines is required, as is management experience. The successful candidate will be a proven tech leader, with a passion for writing clean, concise code that can be used as the foundation for a number of successful projects.
The role will involve working closely with our in-house creatives and project managers to design and architect tech-based experiences for our clients. The successful candidate will therefore be someone who is familiar with existing cutting-edge marketing tech capabilities, who is able to create brilliant ideas that resonate with our clients' audiences. There will also be a requirement to oversee and perform maintenance work on our existing codebase to improve security, scalability and to fix bugs.
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship and architectural direction to the development team on the design, development, deployment, and maintenance of highly usable and scalable software
- Participate in engineering alongside development teams, including performing formal code reviews and providing feedback on structure, maintainability and quality of code, with a particular emphasis on anticipating and mitigating technical debt. This role is split 60/40 between hands-on engineering and engineering direction
- Strictly enforce and maintain adherence to best practices in the area of security, performance and load, scalability, usability, maintainability, and supportability of software
- Investigate and keep up-to-date on emerging and cutting-edge technologies, guide knowledge sharing and rapid-prototyping efforts for new technologies to assess technical fit and risk
- Satisfy documentation and administration requirements within the team, and ensure on-going product adherence to technology standards, business objectives, and requirements
SKILLS AND PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Well established experience of web software development, with experience of both object-oriented and functional programming paradigms, with a focus on maintaining legacy code with high-uptime requirements.
- Relevant experience in management and architectural direction for production systems, with experience of guiding and promoting engineering teams' practices such as code refactoring, design patterns, continuous integration, building highly scalable applications and application security
- Advanced knowledge of TypeScript, React (+ TypeScript) and Node.JS, with significant experience writing and utilising RESTful API services and performance-tuning large scale applications
- Strong knowledge of cloud architectures and services (AWS), especially familiarity with Heroku stacks (Procfiles, Worker Dynos) and distributed systems
- Experience designing software with high-end security requirements for tech-focused clients
- Experience working with Google Cloud (especially AIML), AWS and Facebook APIs
Nice to have:
- Experience with DevOps pipelines and basic CI / CD
- Experience with GraphQL and GitHub
- Experience with decentralised and/or blockchain systems
HEALTH, WELLBEING & BENEFITS
As the business has grown, we have and will continue to evolve the benefits that we offer to our people. Here is a snapshot of some of the perks you can expect.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and your birthday off each year
- Company Pension scheme
- Health Cash Plan
- EAP scheme
- Ride to work scheme
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Flexible working*
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Training & development opportunities
- Events calendar throughout the year promoting health & wellbeing, learning, fun, and good Bytes
- Global Annual Dept Cares Day which cadets can donate their skills to support local charities
- Annual Dept Festival
*The COVID-19 pandemic has seen nearly everybody move to remote working and this is something we’ll continue to do this year. Our approach is reviewed and adapted in line with the changing restrictions. When it’s safe to return to the office our flexible working approach will include a hybrid mode of working incorporating remote and in-office working.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Diversity, Equal Opportunity & Inclusion (DEI) are hugely important to us. Our DEI commitments sit at the core of our business and are part of our culture. We’ve always held the belief that being a progressive and innovative business necessitates a diverse team with an inclusive attitude - one cannot exist without the other.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that seeks to recruit, develop, nurture and retain the most talented people from a range of diverse backgrounds, skills and perspectives. We encourage all applications irrespective of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, nationality, marital status, and disability.
- No ego
- Extremely motivated
- Adaptable and thrives with variety and change
- Self-starting, reliable and dependable
- Inquisitive mindset
- Honest and trustworthy
- Learns quickly
- Persistent and hard-working
- Open to feedback and ideas
- Clear communicator
- Sense of humour
Werde Teil unserer digitalen Zukunft
Wir mögen über die ganze Welt verteilt sein, aber wir arbeiten alle als ein Team. Wir inspirieren einander, arbeiten zusammen, sind innovativ und schaffen gemeinsam Neues.Entdecke unsere Kultur
Um die User Experience der Website so einfach und persönlich wie möglich zu gestalten, nutzen wir Cookies. Wir verwenden sie ausserdem, um sicherzustellen, dass wir und Dritte für Sie relevante Anzeigen schalten können.