Executive Sponsor – US Remote
Rocket Insights US
Dept is looking to hire an Exec Sponsor in the US of A.
What’s an “Exec Sponsor” you ask?
An Exec Sponsor is a combination of people manager, sales, and technical architect. This is our sales role at Dept, but like most things we do, it’s a little different. Our Exec Sponsors live at the intersection of understanding what clients need, what Depteers need, and how to manage and balance the two. We believe being able to build long term relationships with clients and the team delivering the work is the secret to success.
We decided long ago that we would never hire traditional sales people. For this Exec Sponsor role, we want former web engineers or product experts that know their craft and are really good with people. We made a bet that if we hire makers to lead our sales effort that it results with happier clients and a happier team. This “non-sales” approach has worked very well for us, and we need additional Exec Sponsors to handle our increased client base.
The ideal candidate is someone who started their career as a “maker” in engineering. This candidate decided they wanted to be more “client facing” and probably transitioned to Director of Engineering, Sales Engineering, or developed an expertise in some other aspect of digital products. We’re looking for a candidate who can bring legitimate value and expertise for building software products, is a great listener, and has a high emotional IQ.
This is not a role for a traditional sales professional. This is not a role for an internal focused engineering manager. This is not a role for a long-winded consultant that has never had to make something of their own.
This is a unique opportunity for the right person.
Dept is the fastest growing product design and development agency in the US. We’re a tight-knit, experienced group of designers and engineers who love building products with like-minded, but diverse, people. We have a vision for growing our business thoughtfully, here in the US and abroad.
How will we do this? The same way we have been – by focusing on building great products and relationships with clients that we like and respect. We don’t put up with bad apples and we aren’t afraid to turn down work if it’s not a fit.
Our work has improved people's lives, been seen by millions of users, featured in the app stores, had books written about it, featured in the press, received awards and, most importantly, brought delight to users.
We believe that:
- A healthy work/life balance is very important.
- Collaboration and great communication are the keys to any successful project.
- Success comes from constantly learning & considering other perspectives.
- If we just focus on happy colleagues & happy clients, everything else works.
What will your day be like?
You will be responsible for working with clients to understand their project needs, closing the associated business, participating in the casting for the project, and managing those projects to a successful outcome. You will be managing between 3-7 clients, 3-7 direct reports, and will be goaled against customer satisfaction scores, team happiness and account growth.
Here are some of the activities that make up the day of a Dept Exec Sponsor:
- Respond to inbound leads, understand how we might help clients & close new business.
- Work with our internal management team to determine the right casting.
- Set appropriate context & expectations with both our clients & team members.
- Attend regular project meetings to understand how your projects are progressing,
- Work with our tech leads & project managers to make sure they feel supported.
- Own the ultimate success of these client engagements.
- Handle client or colleague escalations as needed.
- You will be home in time for dinner
- You started your career as a “maker” then grew into a client facing role.
- You like to actively listen, with a high degree of empathy & patience.
- You have actively managed a small team of web engineers and are comfortable with the hiring and management process.
- You’re comfortable asking for additional business if we can genuinely help.
- You are a warm personality that is positive & upbeat with a good sense of humor.
- You have a yes attitude and can figure things out with limited hand-holding.
- You love to plan but don’t mind getting thrown a curveball.