Executive Sponsor – US Remote
Roles open in: Boston, New York, Newburyport
Executive Sponsor – US Remote
DEPT® is a fast-growing pioneer in technology, creativity, and data. We’re a global, digital agency that offers the full range of digital services to our clients. Our goals are simple: happy employees and happy clients. We know that making our employees happy and letting them focus on doing good work leads to happy clients. We’re looking to add Exec Sponsors to our Digital Products team!
One of our mottoes is “big enough to cope and small enough to care.” Big enough to cope means we have the resources to provide our teams with things like top notch equipment and software to get the job done, good compensation, and benefits. Small enough to care means each local team works how they see most effectively and treat clients right. We're doing all of this as a fast growing, global company and with that comes a lot of excitement. You have the opportunity to get in and help us build a world class digital agency.
Moreover, as a B Corp certified company, we’re also passionate about purpose-driven work so you can feel good about the contributions you make.
What’s an “Exec Sponsor” you ask?
An Exec Sponsor is a combination of entrepreneur, account manager and digital product expert. This is our sales role at DEPT® Digital Products, but like most things we do, it’s a little different. Our Exec Sponsors live at the intersection of understanding what clients need, what our employees need, and how to manage and balance the two. We believe being able to build long term relationships with clients and the team delivering the work is the secret to success.
We decided long ago that we would never hire traditional sales people. We have all the respect in the world for sales professionals, but we're looking for entrepreneurial types with a great professional network. Maybe you’ve started your own tech company in the past. Maybe you started as a maker and found yourself in a client facing role. Maybe you've successfully built a channel business. We want folks that understand what it's like to “live” with digital products and are really good with people. We made a bet that if we hire digital product expertise, and teach these folks to sell, it results in happier clients and a happier team. This “non-sales” approach has worked very well for us, and we need additional Exec Sponsors to handle our increased client base and help us continue to grow our network.
The ideal candidate is someone who started their career as a “maker” in engineering, design, product or something similar. This candidate decided they wanted to be more “client facing” and probably transitioned to Director of Engineering, Sales Engineering, or developed an expertise in some other aspect of digital products. We’re looking for a candidate who can bring legitimate value and expertise for building software products, is a great listener, and has a high emotional IQ.
This is not a role for a transactional sales professional. This is not a role for someone who has never carried a revenue goal. This is not a role for a long-winded consultant that has never had to make something of their own. This is not a role for someone that has just been in an overlay role without having a direct quota.
This is a unique opportunity for the right person. This is for the entrepreneur who had the guts to go out on their own. This is for the consultative sales professional that puts doing the right thing above hitting quota. This is for the Account Manager, Sales Engineer or Product Manager that was always a better salesperson than the sales person.
What will your day be like?
We'll give you ~$7M in existing business that you'll have to manage. Your primary focus will be ensuring a high quality of work. We believe that if you have happy clients and happy colleagues, the money will sort itself out. This is your core responsibility. You will be working with clients to understand their project needs, closing the associated business, participating in the casting for the project, and managing those projects to a successful outcome. In addition, you will be expected to bring in new client work from your own professional network. Our buyer is a VP of Technology or a VP of Product. If you have these folks in your network – and they think highly of you – then it's simply a matter of finding the right time and opportunity to work with them.
Here are some of the activities that make up the day of a DEPT® Digital Products Exec Sponsor:
- Ensure your projects are going well. Happy clients, happy colleagues is your first priority.
- Tap your existing relationships and professional network to find new opportunities
- Respond to inbound leads, understand how we might help clients, and close this new business
- Work with our internal management team to determine the right casting while setting appropriate context and expectations with both our clients and team members
- Attend regular project meetings to understand how your projects are progressing
- Work with our tech leads and project managers to make sure they feel supported
- Own the ultimate success of these client engagements
- You never imagined you'd be a sales person but you're actually pretty good at it.
- You listen more than you talk. You have a high degree of empathy and patience.
- You’re comfortable asking for additional business if we can genuinely help.
- You maintain a strong network and are not afraid to hunt for work.
- You are a warm personality that is positive & upbeat with a good sense of humor.
- You have a yes attitude and can figure things out with limited hand-holding.
- You love to plan but don’t mind getting thrown a curveball.
What do we offer?
- Healthcare, dental, and vision coverage, matching 401(k) plan
- Unlimited PTO days; 11 paid company holidays
- Parental leave
- “Hybrid” work – the opportunity and the flexibility to work in the way that works best for you, whether that be in the office, remote, or a mix of the two
- A people-first culture with a relaxed environment. We like to say we treat people like adults here, meaning we trust your judgment and your ability.
- Lunch and learns, in which you can share everything from more info about a favorite tech stack to general interest and hobbies
- WFH Stipend – to help outfit your home office with everything you need to set yourself up for success
- A paid-for trip to Amsterdam for our legendary annual company celebration, DEPT®Fest. A whole weekend of keynotes featuring an incredible lineup of speakers, not to mention evenings filled with amazing music, drinks, food, and the chance to mingle with coworkers from all over the world.
- For this role, the compensation starts at $160k+ annually. We’re flexible, let’s chat.
About DEPT®: DEPT® is a pioneering technology and marketing services company that creates integrated end-to-end digital experiences for brands such as Google, KFC, Philips, Audi, Twitch, Patagonia, eBay and more. Its team of 2,500+ digital specialists across 30+ locations on 5 continents delivers pioneering work on a global scale with a boutique culture. DEPT® is committed to making a positive impact on the planet and since 2021 has been Climate Neutral and B Corporation certified. www.deptagency.com
We are passionate about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and our decision to choose you is based on qualifications, merit, and business need. DEPT® (and any company that is a part of DEPT®) is committed to prohibiting the discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, national origin, religion, mental and physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military and veteran status, and other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability or religious observance, please contact us at [email protected]
Be part of our digital future
We may be spread across the world, but we all work together as one team. Inspiring each other, collaborating, innovating, and creating together.Explore our culture
Personalize your experience