The #1 payment solution for retailers
Klarna is a new breed of fintech payment companies enabling shoppers to buy now and pay later. Targeting millennials and generation Zs, Klarna’s vivid branding may be ‘unconventional’ for the financial sector, but its business model should not be underestimated; its ‘no interest, no fees’ promise is taking the e-commerce industry by storm.
A new wave of shopping
Klarna was valued at £5.5 billion in August 2019, just two years after the Swedish fintech firm secured an EU banking license. This made it the bloc’s most valuable financial technology start-up to date. Klarna is rapidly popping up as an online payment option, and is already available on 130,000 retailers across Europe and in the US. In the UK alone, there are 4,000 brands utilising the service, including ASOS, Toms, H&M, Nike, and Boohoo.
Backed by investors including rapper Snoop Dogg, Klarna is driving millions of referrals each month from owned channels to its merchants; consumers are now actively seeking retailers where they can pay via Klarna. With claims of 55,000 new customers every week and a six million-strong UK client base, merchant demand is as strong as ever. Klarna shows no signs of slowing down; this is a new wave of shopping.
Value for merchants & shoppers alike
Merchants should think of instant financing as a flexible alternative to credit. In terms of the payments ecosystem, it is a relatively new payment solution that puts consumers in control of how and when they want to pay a merchant. Instead of being forced to pay for the entire purchase upfront or with a credit card, instant financing enhances customer confidence and boosts their buying power.
By offering customers the ability to pay over time, merchants have the potential to drive significant business by increasing Average Order Value (AOV). That’s a competitive edge any merchant in today’s crowded e-commerce space should be taking advantage of.
The value to customers is clear: Klarna provides the flexibility they’re asking for. Shoppers want financing options, so giving them what they want really does pay off. After offering Klarna, retailers can typically expect to see:
- 68% increase in average order value
- 20% higher annual customer purchase frequency
- 7% higher conversion rate vs. card transactions
- 44% of users would have abandoned their purchase if Pay Later wasn’t available
Easy to implement
It’s a straightforward process to integrate Klarna in a live marketplace; Klarna is hugely adaptable in a cloud-based environment. Salesforce Commerce Cloud is just one way to go, as Klarna can work with a wide range of platforms and plugins including Episerver, Oracle, Shopify, BigCommerce, Magento and many more.
Klarna has a fully functional Salesforce Commerce Cloud cartridge for payments and checkout of products. Configuration of the Klarna cartridge may vary in complexity depending on the individual site setup and customisation of the checkout.
- Implement Klarna in-line with other payment options.
- Fully integrated into the merchant’s website with no redirects via the Klarna widget.
- Klarna fraud notification updates for orders placed.
- Supports both Commerce Cloud controllers and pipelines architectures.
- Leverages and supports standard Commerce Cloud checkout functionality such as cart updates, coupon codes, product level promotions, order level promotions, shipping level promotions, and more.
- Supports gift cards and splits the payment appropriately with Klarna payments.
- Klarna configuration items available and payment details presented in Commerce Cloud Business Manager.
- Klarna payment details presented in Commerce Cloud Business Manager.
The Dept way
At Dept, we combine creativity and data with technological solutions such as Klarna to help organisations grow and accelerate. Below are five reasons why Dept is the ideal partner help you:
- Commerce creds: we work with retailers across the globe including adidas, Figleaves, Bugaboo, Phase Eight, Ann Summers, Tiger of Sweden, C&A, Rituals, Tom Tailor and many more.
- Experienced and successful:we have been working successfully with a wide range of technology leaders for many years. With our experience in retail, we help a wide range of customers to embrace digital.
- Full approach: digital growth does not stop with the successful deployment of Klarna. As a fully integrated digital agency, we also support SEO, creative campaigns, e-commerce, strategy and organisation, branding, data intelligence and more to help your organisation grow and develop.
- In-house experts: our years of expertise in designing experiences, expandable architecture and integration of technology is not something we want to keep to ourselves. We share our knowledge as experts in our in-depth blogs in which we tackle practical challenges